Skip to main content

Enough

At 1:30 p.m. today, my sister, Nurse Cori, arrives back in the U.S. after a two week medical missions trip to Costa Rica. This is the third in a series of trips, one to Mexico, and one to Jordan. We haven't heard much from her while she's been gone, so everyone is chomping at the bit to get a phone call. All I know at this time is that she got to give a fancy wheelchair to a kid who's been bedridden his entire life. That's so fantastic it makes me cry.

At 10:30 a.m. yesterday, my mom and I were walking with a giant red stroller full of sweet baby Piper Joy. Piper was trying to fall asleep and I was trying to rouse her enough to keep her awake through the walk so I could take her home for a good nap. I employed such tactics as jumping while singing and flapping my arms as well as racing ahead of the stroller and executing a 360  to end up facing Piper with a giant grin. Neither of these tactics worked and Piper insisted on falling asleep.

On our walk with a sleeping baby, Mom and I talked about what the life of a disciple of Christ should look like. I was sharing some of my frustration at how normal my life sometimes seems. I keep ending up doing typical things when all I really want to do is take a stand for Christ. I'm never quite sure what this will look like in my life, but I know that reading Scripture and praying will prepare me to obey the Lord when he calls on me to act. Why then do my efforts to prepare myself end up in the corner covered in guilt? And where is the great call for action?

Another way to phrase this frustration is, "why can't I just go to Costa Rica like Cori and give fancy wheelchairs to kids who desperately need them?"

You could also say it this way, "is caring for sweet baby Piper Joy and going on walks with my mom enough?"

My mom and I decided the answer to the second question is yes, with a twist. It's really hard for me to say something is enough in pretty much any area of my life. In my pursuit of Christ it's extremely hard for me to say that. I abhor the idea that I would be giving myself an easy way out and be settling for less than the life God wants for me. And I believe that this is a legitimate concern for all of us.

But, and here's the twist, I also believe that God, through his Spirit, is present in the world. I believe that he is truly alive in the hearts of his followers. He is here with us! With that in mind, listening to him, preparing to obey him, serving him, become much less of an ordeal for me. Yes, I can, and should go to Costa Rica if the occasion arises, but yes, I also can and should take a walk with my mom should the occasion arise. And here's why: because on that walk I can acknowledge the presence of God, I can invite him into that moment, and through that act of faith, I can be glorifying him with my life. Glorifying God with the life I have been given matters! It's important!

These thoughts encourage me to continue pursuing Christ in the everyday without being frustrated that my every day can look, well, mundane! For more thoughts on what pursuing Christ through your daily routine looks like, you should look at a little book by Brother Lawrence. I've read it before, but I think it's time for a refresher. Join me if you want!

See it here:
The Practice of the Presence of God


Comments

  1. I think God likes to see us take care of the little things, the mundane, daily issues of life, before we get the big assignment. I am still waiting myself.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello from Bangkok! Thank you, Brynn, this post was a huge comfort to me as I'm across the ocean. Love, H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to hear that, H! Not sure exactly who you are, but the fact that my experience could comfort someone is really wonderful! Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. maybe we should read this book in a little book club. also, i'd love to think up ways to serve our community together. i get so covered up in getting everything done in my own life, i forget to look around at how i can help others. we can encourage each other in this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the idea of reading the book together! And the idea of brainstorming ways to serve is so energizing to me I can hardly wait! Let's talk more over chili at your house tomorrow night:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Easter Fires

We used to live on top of a hill. It was so densely covered in live oaks that you had to drive halfway up the granite driveway before you could see our house - grey and white and tall in the midst of the trees. I can't even imagine how many times I drove up that driveway and caught the familiar glimpse of my home. First, as a high school-er in my blue minivan, then home from college in the old Lexus, then back from Austin in the Miata. I even drove up the drive as a married woman in my beloved Tom's  black Jetta. But we do not live on that hill anymore and I was reminded of that this Easter as I brought my sweet baby Piper to visit her Nan and Pop in their new home. It was not my parents' initial choice to move to a new home. They as well as I pictured their grandchildren coming up the live oak hill for visits. As little as I consciously thought about it, I had always expected to be able to bring my kids back to see where I grew up. But, after last Easter, a fire started

Piper Joy Interlude: Fashion Show

Here is sweet baby Piper Joy trying on her potential flower girl dresses... and various other items! Option A: too large, but sooo cute still! also was worn by Nurse Cori in a wedding back in the day... Option B: A better fit and a bit more chic... Hilarious new swimsuit I found on sale... my beloved Tom thinks it's too grandma-y. Flower girl option C suggested by Piper Joy herself Daddy's hat -  the perfect fashion accessory every time