Skip to main content

Geliebte: A Love Story

People ask me all the time to tell them how I met my beloved Tom. They ask because it's a question on the list of "what to say when you're meeting a relatively newly-wed," but my answer is something special. It's one of those stories worth stopping everything to hear because it's one of the best love stories of all time. Today, and not yesterday because my sweet baby Piper got a fever and all I could do was hold her, I'd like to tell you the story. My Valentine is one of a kind.

The story is about this guy.

And this girl.

It gets better, I promise.

Once upon a time, there was a most excellent man. He was handsome, creative, clever, and had a resume of life experiences to be remembered. He spoke German, had lived abroad for two and a half years, had built a ropes course in Ireland, had ridden motorcycles through Portugal, had led Young Life in Macedonia. He could build houses, play the guitar, ice skate, write music, sing to make a girl swoon, and cook Hamburger Helper. He had studied theology, read too much sci-fi, and taught English to German Kindergarteners. Best of all, he happened to be on a Swiss mountaintop at the same time as me. His name was Tom Bowyer.

When I first saw him, he was wearing a beanie and some ancient sweat pants that had a sheen from too much washing. He was bearded and smiley and playing guitar in the mountain chateau because a recent ski injury forced him to be stationary... all day. He was there when I got there. He was there when I left for the afternoon. He was there when I got back. So I talked to him. Even though I had not thought about my wardrobe that day and was wearing a green turtle neck my friend told me never to wear again and some jeans I had salvaged from my sister, Nurse Cori 's give-away pile. He made me listen and made me laugh.We talked for a long time. So long in fact that I began to wonder why he found me so interesting.

I remember asking him lots of questions and learning a few pieces of his amazing life. I remember him playing two songs he had written and that the one about subways got stuck in my head for the entire next day. I also remember him standing up for the first time and revealing that he was a giant. A six foot six and very handsome giant. And this is where I wish I could have known how significant this day was going to be for me. If I had known, I would have paid much more attention. 

My mom had an inkling. When I got back to our room that night, she told me how much she had enjoyed meeting "that young man," and said that she thought we would see him again someday. I have learned to trust my mom on these things, but didn't see how it would happen so I didn't give it much thought. I did replay our conversation and remembered his sparkly smile and genuine interest in my life before I went to sleep.

The next day I made sure to put on mascara in case I saw him. In characteristic Tom fashion, as I would later find out, there was no "in case." He made sure I saw him. He took a chair next to me and we discussed the speaker we had heard that morning. Again I was impressed by his intelligence and knowledge, this time about theological issues.When he was called away to another group of people, my mom suggested that I find a way to keep in touch with him. Since offering my phone number seemed far too bold at that point, I took a subtler route and left my contact info in the guest book of the chateau so he could find me if he wanted to. We parted without a chance to say goodbye. I didn't figure I would ever see him again.

But Tom had other plans. About two weeks later, he found me! By way of a short, well-crafted email along the lines of, "You were cool to talk to. Can we talk more?" I told him that would be fine and he sent me a second email. The second email was longer... much much longer. Luckily, I ate up every word. His thoughts were beautiful and new and I loved reading them. I struggled to find as many thoughts to send to him in response, but after a few days, I had generated an email that was almost as long. I sent it to him, all the while wondering, Why me? And what did he mean by it all? 

He meant a great deal as it turned out. He meant that when I flirtatiously suggested that he come visit me in Washington D.C. three months later, although he was then living in Indianapolis, he would do it. And he would stay for six days. And he would tell me during a visit to the zoo that he wanted to date me. He meant that two weeks later when we were back in our respective states (I in Texas and he in Indiana) when I suggested that he move to Texas, he would do it. And he would leave his job and friends behind. And he would move in with my parents. He meant that he wanted to know me and that he would take whatever unorthodox measures were required to do it.

I have never known anyone to be so brave. Some people may have thought his passion was foolish. After all, he gave up nursing school and his job for a girl he might not have gotten. I know it was courage - a courage that is powerful and rare and intensely attractive. And so I married him - only a year later.

We have been having adventures ever since. They aren't necessarily the fairy tale type of adventures that everyone dreams of having, but they are unique and memorable and a continuation of a wonderful story. Here are some pictures that my geliebte, my beloved Tom and I have generated thus far:


First Date in DC
Moving to Texas
St. Lucia
Roller Coaster
Sledding in Michigan

Loch Ness

Honduras

 And our biggest adventure yet,
Parenthood!
I love you, Tommy!
The End

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing. It's an amazing story made even more so because it's true. May God continue to bless your family :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Enough

At 1:30 p.m. today, my sister, Nurse Cori, arrives back in the U.S. after a two week medical missions trip to Costa Rica. This is the third in a series of trips, one to Mexico, and one to Jordan. We haven't heard much from her while she's been gone, so everyone is chomping at the bit to get a phone call. All I know at this time is that she got to give a fancy wheelchair to a kid who's been bedridden his entire life. That's so fantastic it makes me cry. At 10:30 a.m. yesterday, my mom and I were walking with a giant red stroller full of sweet baby Piper Joy. Piper was trying to fall asleep and I was trying to rouse her enough to keep her awake through the walk so I could take her home for a good nap. I employed such tactics as jumping while singing and flapping my arms as well as racing ahead of the stroller and executing a 360  to end up facing Piper with a giant grin. Neither of these tactics worked and Piper insisted on falling asleep. On our walk with a sleeping

Easter Fires

We used to live on top of a hill. It was so densely covered in live oaks that you had to drive halfway up the granite driveway before you could see our house - grey and white and tall in the midst of the trees. I can't even imagine how many times I drove up that driveway and caught the familiar glimpse of my home. First, as a high school-er in my blue minivan, then home from college in the old Lexus, then back from Austin in the Miata. I even drove up the drive as a married woman in my beloved Tom's  black Jetta. But we do not live on that hill anymore and I was reminded of that this Easter as I brought my sweet baby Piper to visit her Nan and Pop in their new home. It was not my parents' initial choice to move to a new home. They as well as I pictured their grandchildren coming up the live oak hill for visits. As little as I consciously thought about it, I had always expected to be able to bring my kids back to see where I grew up. But, after last Easter, a fire started

Piper Joy Interlude: Fashion Show

Here is sweet baby Piper Joy trying on her potential flower girl dresses... and various other items! Option A: too large, but sooo cute still! also was worn by Nurse Cori in a wedding back in the day... Option B: A better fit and a bit more chic... Hilarious new swimsuit I found on sale... my beloved Tom thinks it's too grandma-y. Flower girl option C suggested by Piper Joy herself Daddy's hat -  the perfect fashion accessory every time