Skip to main content

Gypsy Mamma

When I was living in France, I would take walks up into the mountains behind my host family's house. There were miles of trails that led to amazing views of little farms and a giant yellow chateau (a mini castle) that was still fully operational. I would always scheme about how I might make it inside the gates to get a peak at the inside of the place. The other draw to the mountains was a gypsy camp. I had to walk right past it to get anywhere at all on the trails. The French call gypsies "les gens de voyage," the traveling people. I would try to imagine what it would be like to live life on the road, to enjoy moving, not to long for a hometown and the geography around it.

This past week I was a gypsy mamma. The fact that I was only this for a week probably negates any claim I can make to the title of gypsy, but it is such a pretty word that I want to continue to use it. My beloved Tom, sweet baby Piper Joy, and I covered 2000 miles in one week in my new mom car, the Rav4, to see old friends. It was a crazy, busy, yet fulfilling and rejuvenating trip . And now, a little bit about my gypsy travels.

When I first told Piper we would be taking a road trip to Memphis, Nashville, Indianapolis, and St. Louis, she did this:


Then I told her we would be seeing other babies and some funny friends of her Daddy's. She became amenable to the idea. I could even detect a hint of excitement in her expression.

But that may have been about the bread in a bag. Hard to tell.

Because it is nearly Easter, I bought my beloved Tom and myself some festive masks to get us in the road trip mood. We left at 8:30 a.m. wearing these.
Just try to find Tom's eyes.
First stop, Memphis, TN, eight hours northeast, to visit three friends from college. We said hello to Emily and Matt Bowden, played with their two year old, Charlie, who was very taken with Piper, and reconnected with my dear friend, Lynda Raiford who was our lovely hostess. She made us a wonderful home-cooked meal and got us off on the right foot the next morning. She was also a big hit with Piper. She had really cool toys.
Baby Girl Paradise
After brunch with Warren Campbell at the Majestic in downtown Memphis, on the most blustery day sweet baby Piper Joy has ever encountered, we departed for Nashville, home of the Deans. Michael and Ruthie that is. They gave us pizza and played with Piper. My beloved Tom wore his special new shirt for the occasion. Here he is with his daughter at his friend Mikey's house.

And here are the rest of us in the kitchen as well!



I have so enjoyed getting to know these two. They are a unique couple. They have co-authored a book called "Real Men Don't Text" which comes out soon. I can't wait to read it!

Next we headed up to Indy to see these guys. The ole college buddies who are all now dads. I think they are all still in shock, although they are wonderful, loving fathers whose kids are precious.


It was good to spend some time with "the wives" as well. Here is Kayla Holloway with her daughter and mine!

Piper certainly seems to be enjoying herself!

We got to take sweet baby Piper and her new friend Naomi to the art museum! Their dads nearly got kicked out for playing on the escalator. Then they shaped up as evidenced by this picture:

Piper is still learning to appreciate art, so we spent some time at the kid exhibit... where you can draw on the walls. More up our alley. Tom's and Jimi's that is.

With many promises of magical Google conference calls (which have taken place since, well done all!), we left Indiana for St. Louis and my college room mate, Deborah. She is a much better picture-taker than I am as you will see from the following. We stayed in her beautiful apartment, walked miles and miles to the zoo, and spent some good time with her brother, Jeff, and niece, Natalie. Natalie taught Piper many things.
Deborah's Apartment. I envy her.

Like father like daughter... lengthy.

At the zoo where we saw... Penguins!!!

More Penguins!!!

And even more amazing... Puffins!!!

Piper napped while Tom and I panted the five miles back to Deborah's apt.
Us!

Babies!

Natalie most graciously reading her Disney book to Piper.


Piper approving of the whole experience.


This is what I learned from the trip, Road Trip 2013 - I am not a gypsy! Well, I kind of already knew it, but it is now certainly a confirmed fact. I love having a place to come home to. I enjoy familiarity. I like being settled. But, being gone for an extended period of time did what it is so good at doing; it showed me my everyday life in a way that made me want to come back to it. Now that we have returned and Piper doesn't sleep and neither do I, and the laundry and dishes pile up, and everything everywhere is covered in pine pollen, it is easy to forget what I was looking at so fondly from 2000 miles away. But there is goodness here because this is my home.

Au revoir then, gypsy mamma... until Spring Break next year!

Comments

  1. My pictures win!! Please come back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I very much approve of Piper's ears and how straight she keeps her arms. This update has made my weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Enough

At 1:30 p.m. today, my sister, Nurse Cori, arrives back in the U.S. after a two week medical missions trip to Costa Rica. This is the third in a series of trips, one to Mexico, and one to Jordan. We haven't heard much from her while she's been gone, so everyone is chomping at the bit to get a phone call. All I know at this time is that she got to give a fancy wheelchair to a kid who's been bedridden his entire life. That's so fantastic it makes me cry. At 10:30 a.m. yesterday, my mom and I were walking with a giant red stroller full of sweet baby Piper Joy. Piper was trying to fall asleep and I was trying to rouse her enough to keep her awake through the walk so I could take her home for a good nap. I employed such tactics as jumping while singing and flapping my arms as well as racing ahead of the stroller and executing a 360  to end up facing Piper with a giant grin. Neither of these tactics worked and Piper insisted on falling asleep. On our walk with a sleeping

Easter Fires

We used to live on top of a hill. It was so densely covered in live oaks that you had to drive halfway up the granite driveway before you could see our house - grey and white and tall in the midst of the trees. I can't even imagine how many times I drove up that driveway and caught the familiar glimpse of my home. First, as a high school-er in my blue minivan, then home from college in the old Lexus, then back from Austin in the Miata. I even drove up the drive as a married woman in my beloved Tom's  black Jetta. But we do not live on that hill anymore and I was reminded of that this Easter as I brought my sweet baby Piper to visit her Nan and Pop in their new home. It was not my parents' initial choice to move to a new home. They as well as I pictured their grandchildren coming up the live oak hill for visits. As little as I consciously thought about it, I had always expected to be able to bring my kids back to see where I grew up. But, after last Easter, a fire started

Piper Joy Interlude: Fashion Show

Here is sweet baby Piper Joy trying on her potential flower girl dresses... and various other items! Option A: too large, but sooo cute still! also was worn by Nurse Cori in a wedding back in the day... Option B: A better fit and a bit more chic... Hilarious new swimsuit I found on sale... my beloved Tom thinks it's too grandma-y. Flower girl option C suggested by Piper Joy herself Daddy's hat -  the perfect fashion accessory every time