Skip to main content

Doors, Diapers, Dogs, and Cake

Phewf! It's been a long time! (Does anyone else besides my family use that expression? My beloved Tom claims that they do not. I disagree.) The reason for the giant gap in postings : a move to a new town. The reason for me posting today, this beautiful, fall-ish afternoon: I painted a door.


This is my door, the door to the house I just moved in to in Fredericksburg, Texas. It's worth noting that the door is heavy. This matters because I did this project by myself. Yep. I figured out how to take a front door off it's hinges (my beloved Tom later told me a much less sweat-inducing way), how to make sawhorse wannabe's out of four chairs and two old, spider infested boards, how to maneuver the door down the front steps to the "sawhorses", how to sweetly ask the neighbor next door to help me hoist my door onto the "sawhorses", how to get over my frustration when the neighbor left and I realized the door had been placed wrong side up, how to ask the neighbor across the street even more sweetly (different neighbor) to help me turn it over, how to use Tom's sander, and how to paint while watching a baby. It was quite the learning experience.

Result: a fresh new door to symbolize a new beginning in Fredericksburg this fall.

Some things, however, remain the same.

Diapers, for example, still need need to be changed in Fredericksburg. Then they need to be washed, dried, and folded just in time to be worn again by my sweet baby Piper Joy.

Waffles still has to get abnormally close to me whenever possible so he can stare into my eyes.


He still loves tug-of-towel as well.


For those of you who visited our old house, the yellow bookshelf is still going strong in the living room.
These sorts of constants, yes, even the diapers, make moving bearable. It's quite fascinating to me that humans are capable of transporting their lives to new places. But, the transport is never complete. There are always pieces left behind, people that you can't take with you, holes that you have to look at until you can see how they fit into the larger pattern. It is during this time, the time that my family and I are now in, that doors, dogs, and diapers take on a certain significance. They help keep you patient while the newness wears off.

In the meantime, big things are happening! My sweet baby Piper Joy had her first birthday! We celebrated with family and friends. Some pictures are on facebook, but for my blog audience, I have reserved some select pictures of this momentous occasion.

Here we have the first birthday cake I have ever made for my child. It was pretty fun to make it. I used a supposedly baby-friendly recipe that called for things like apple juice and carrots and still ended up tasting pretty good. I blew the baby-friendliness though when I doused the cake in cream cheese icing loaded with powdered sugar...


We spent the evening at the Akins, our good friends. They provided the candles (thanks, Megan!) and photography.


Piper Joy quickly embraced the idea of birthday cake.


It looks like a small bear attacked that cake! She wasn't too excited about getting cake on her hands though. I (depicted by the set of large teeth in the picture below) apparently thought this was hilarious.


It was definitely a team effort, the team being Mom and Piper. Mom did not want to be a team player, but Piper insisted. We were both covered in icing by the end of this game. 


But how can you resist a face like the one below? 


 And those were our birthday adventures. Piper Joy is now 2'5", in the 14% for weight, and the 88% for height. But who is surprised by those stats? She will probably be walking before Thanksgiving; she crawls like a maniac now. And best of all... she sleeps through the night! This is another, long-awaited, new beginning.

More to come in the near future on our life in the Burg!

Until then, as Aslan says in "The Last Battle" to the people who have just arrived in his new kingdom, "Onward and upward!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enough

At 1:30 p.m. today, my sister, Nurse Cori, arrives back in the U.S. after a two week medical missions trip to Costa Rica. This is the third in a series of trips, one to Mexico, and one to Jordan. We haven't heard much from her while she's been gone, so everyone is chomping at the bit to get a phone call. All I know at this time is that she got to give a fancy wheelchair to a kid who's been bedridden his entire life. That's so fantastic it makes me cry. At 10:30 a.m. yesterday, my mom and I were walking with a giant red stroller full of sweet baby Piper Joy. Piper was trying to fall asleep and I was trying to rouse her enough to keep her awake through the walk so I could take her home for a good nap. I employed such tactics as jumping while singing and flapping my arms as well as racing ahead of the stroller and executing a 360  to end up facing Piper with a giant grin. Neither of these tactics worked and Piper insisted on falling asleep. On our walk with a sleeping

Easter Fires

We used to live on top of a hill. It was so densely covered in live oaks that you had to drive halfway up the granite driveway before you could see our house - grey and white and tall in the midst of the trees. I can't even imagine how many times I drove up that driveway and caught the familiar glimpse of my home. First, as a high school-er in my blue minivan, then home from college in the old Lexus, then back from Austin in the Miata. I even drove up the drive as a married woman in my beloved Tom's  black Jetta. But we do not live on that hill anymore and I was reminded of that this Easter as I brought my sweet baby Piper to visit her Nan and Pop in their new home. It was not my parents' initial choice to move to a new home. They as well as I pictured their grandchildren coming up the live oak hill for visits. As little as I consciously thought about it, I had always expected to be able to bring my kids back to see where I grew up. But, after last Easter, a fire started

Piper Joy Interlude: Fashion Show

Here is sweet baby Piper Joy trying on her potential flower girl dresses... and various other items! Option A: too large, but sooo cute still! also was worn by Nurse Cori in a wedding back in the day... Option B: A better fit and a bit more chic... Hilarious new swimsuit I found on sale... my beloved Tom thinks it's too grandma-y. Flower girl option C suggested by Piper Joy herself Daddy's hat -  the perfect fashion accessory every time