Skip to main content

Something to get up early for

Today my morning began oh so well; my beloved Tom and I listened to an Anglican morning prayer service online. This is not the typical way we Bowyers begin our day. It is the way I, a morning person, always dream of beginning a day (minus the Anglican part until we met an Anglican priest the other day... more on that to follow), and it is the way Tom, a roll-over-in-bed-until-the-last-possible-moment person, wishes that he would consider dreaming of beginning a day. Through a series of events, however, both Tom and I found ourselves at the kitchen table drinking tea, feeding Piper bits of sweet potato left over from yesterday, and listening to lessons and prayers shared with hundreds of other believers around the world. I LOVE that concept.

Practicing that concept gets a little more hairy. For example, by the time we made it to the gospel lesson, Piper did not want anymore breakfast. By the Lord's prayer she did not want to play alone anymore. By the final prayer she was whimpering over in her play kitchen because Mommy and Daddy had redirected her to go make them some soup while they prayed. These distractions from a good thing can be frustrating.

But, on the flip side, Tom, Piper and I did share a time of prayer together. Scripture was read over our household, and whether or not it was my entire mental energy, at least a portion of it was directed, for a time, to eternal things. All of this is very good.

Why did we listen to this particular morning prayer service? Because we met an Anglican priest the other day named Michael. He has a darling little girl who played very well with my sweet baby Piper Joy while we heard his story, his passions, and a little bit about his mission. You can find it here: thetrinitymission.org It is a simple website but one that supports a worthy goal - that of calling believers together for prayer.

The following paragraphs are from the website, but I included them here in case you're interested enough to keep reading, but not quite interested enough to follow the link. I'm usually in that place!






About The Trinity Mission


"An ancient-form mission on the edge of the global village – one of the main works of the Trinity Mission is creating contemplative, formational opportunities and resources to help people to develop the habit of daily prayer.
"We are a collective, of sorts, of clergy and lay people working together. In this way, The Trinity Mission operates something like a web-based abbey, if you will, with various people doing various things for the kingdom of God but all coming together at particular hours of the day for prayer (of course, for us, the “set time” and “set place” of our common prayer services is a bit virtual).
"The Audio Daily Office is a podcast offered in the morning and evening every day of the year. Hundreds of people come together each week, according to their own schedules, to participate in this community formed by prayer. Our service is rooted in the 1662 Book of Common Prayer service for Morning and Evening Prayer to be held in the church (with a couple adjustments made for the fact that we’re a podcast and our participation includes half a dozen countries – that we know of).
"As a community, the people of the Trinity Mission span many Christian traditions, however the director is an Anglican priest."

So my beloved Tom and I have embarked on an effort at participating in morning prayer together. Join us if you wish, and pray for us if you will! However long it lasts, this little morning person is thankful for the work of the Trinity Mission!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enough

At 1:30 p.m. today, my sister, Nurse Cori, arrives back in the U.S. after a two week medical missions trip to Costa Rica. This is the third in a series of trips, one to Mexico, and one to Jordan. We haven't heard much from her while she's been gone, so everyone is chomping at the bit to get a phone call. All I know at this time is that she got to give a fancy wheelchair to a kid who's been bedridden his entire life. That's so fantastic it makes me cry. At 10:30 a.m. yesterday, my mom and I were walking with a giant red stroller full of sweet baby Piper Joy. Piper was trying to fall asleep and I was trying to rouse her enough to keep her awake through the walk so I could take her home for a good nap. I employed such tactics as jumping while singing and flapping my arms as well as racing ahead of the stroller and executing a 360  to end up facing Piper with a giant grin. Neither of these tactics worked and Piper insisted on falling asleep. On our walk with a sleeping

Easter Fires

We used to live on top of a hill. It was so densely covered in live oaks that you had to drive halfway up the granite driveway before you could see our house - grey and white and tall in the midst of the trees. I can't even imagine how many times I drove up that driveway and caught the familiar glimpse of my home. First, as a high school-er in my blue minivan, then home from college in the old Lexus, then back from Austin in the Miata. I even drove up the drive as a married woman in my beloved Tom's  black Jetta. But we do not live on that hill anymore and I was reminded of that this Easter as I brought my sweet baby Piper to visit her Nan and Pop in their new home. It was not my parents' initial choice to move to a new home. They as well as I pictured their grandchildren coming up the live oak hill for visits. As little as I consciously thought about it, I had always expected to be able to bring my kids back to see where I grew up. But, after last Easter, a fire started

Piper Joy Interlude: Fashion Show

Here is sweet baby Piper Joy trying on her potential flower girl dresses... and various other items! Option A: too large, but sooo cute still! also was worn by Nurse Cori in a wedding back in the day... Option B: A better fit and a bit more chic... Hilarious new swimsuit I found on sale... my beloved Tom thinks it's too grandma-y. Flower girl option C suggested by Piper Joy herself Daddy's hat -  the perfect fashion accessory every time