Skip to main content

Cacti and Faith

This next Lenten poem is written in a kind of freestyle verse. It's always intriguing to me that when you run words and sentences together in certain rhythms they create certain emotions. I was thinking about faith while writing this poem - how absolutely long it takes for any sort of progress to be made on the human heart. Whether the desired end result is healing, contentment, restoration, or holiness, it all takes so so long before you can see fruit, blossoms of springtime growing boldly out of finally fertile soil.


3.
(Faith)
Why can't my cactuses just bloom already instead of sitting there soaking up all the water I occasionally remember to give them with no semblance of using it for anything more than enriching their spines that get caught in my sweatshirt on moving day when, like prized possessions, they ride up front with me and fall from their forgotten place on the dash when Tom backs out the truck so that I grab at them through a camouflage of plastic wal-mart sacks, not remembering that spines are meant to lodge - the point gets them inside skin and then branches out like an anchor clawing into sand. 

So there is a spine in my hand, not a flower.
It will be a while before my body pushes it back up, slowly slowly toward the surface.



(photograph by Dallas Lam)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enough

At 1:30 p.m. today, my sister, Nurse Cori, arrives back in the U.S. after a two week medical missions trip to Costa Rica. This is the third in a series of trips, one to Mexico, and one to Jordan. We haven't heard much from her while she's been gone, so everyone is chomping at the bit to get a phone call. All I know at this time is that she got to give a fancy wheelchair to a kid who's been bedridden his entire life. That's so fantastic it makes me cry. At 10:30 a.m. yesterday, my mom and I were walking with a giant red stroller full of sweet baby Piper Joy. Piper was trying to fall asleep and I was trying to rouse her enough to keep her awake through the walk so I could take her home for a good nap. I employed such tactics as jumping while singing and flapping my arms as well as racing ahead of the stroller and executing a 360  to end up facing Piper with a giant grin. Neither of these tactics worked and Piper insisted on falling asleep. On our walk with a sleeping

Easter Fires

We used to live on top of a hill. It was so densely covered in live oaks that you had to drive halfway up the granite driveway before you could see our house - grey and white and tall in the midst of the trees. I can't even imagine how many times I drove up that driveway and caught the familiar glimpse of my home. First, as a high school-er in my blue minivan, then home from college in the old Lexus, then back from Austin in the Miata. I even drove up the drive as a married woman in my beloved Tom's  black Jetta. But we do not live on that hill anymore and I was reminded of that this Easter as I brought my sweet baby Piper to visit her Nan and Pop in their new home. It was not my parents' initial choice to move to a new home. They as well as I pictured their grandchildren coming up the live oak hill for visits. As little as I consciously thought about it, I had always expected to be able to bring my kids back to see where I grew up. But, after last Easter, a fire started

Piper Joy Interlude: Fashion Show

Here is sweet baby Piper Joy trying on her potential flower girl dresses... and various other items! Option A: too large, but sooo cute still! also was worn by Nurse Cori in a wedding back in the day... Option B: A better fit and a bit more chic... Hilarious new swimsuit I found on sale... my beloved Tom thinks it's too grandma-y. Flower girl option C suggested by Piper Joy herself Daddy's hat -  the perfect fashion accessory every time