Skip to main content

The Napping House


I am not much of a napper myself, never have been. After mom put me on my top bunk for nap time when I was five or six, she would crawl in with my sister, Nurse Cori, on the bottom bunk. This was to keep my sister from running out of the room screaming. She didn't like napping much either. Mom and Cori would eventually fall asleep. But not me. Oh no. I would stealthily creep down my three rung ladder, tip toe across the carpet, twist the doorknob with one quick twist, and hold it there while I ever so slowly opened the door a crack just big enough for me to slip through. You see, the Disney afternoon was on t.v. during nap time on channel 11. I can remember the satisfaction of punching those two 1's into our remote control and watching the giant, neon-yellow "11" appear in the bottom right corner of the screen. Victory was mine! And so were Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers, Tailspin, and Darkwing Duck. Chip and Dale was the best by far.

As an adult and mother, I now occasionally nap. However, the circumstances have to be just right. I have to be exhausted, my sweet baby Piper Joy has to be sleeping well enough to guarantee me at least half an hour, and I have to at least have started the laundry.

Exhaustion comes often enough. I think most adults experience this unfortunate feeling far too often. In my case, it comes from Piper Joy's wee hour escapades coupled with my beloved Tom's night owl habits. This is a killer combination. Sharing the late nights with Tom and heading to bed at midnight only to be woken up at 2 and 4:30 and who knows when else can make for a groggy feeling the next day to say the least.

Piper Joy allowing me at least a half hour for napping has only just started happening because she is only just now sleeping for more than forty-five minutes during a nap! She is ten months old this week. I am thrilled with her new napping habits. They cause me to wonder daily what to do with myself as her naps now extend to an hour and half, and sometimes beyond! This is what nap time is all about.

And oh the laundry... In a nutshell, life at a summer camp generates lots and lots of it.


I remember a book my mom used to read to us. We borrowed it from the library. It was called The Napping House. Each picture showed a darkened, bluish room with a large bed in it. As the book progressed, more and more members of the household trudged into the room and fell asleep, one on top of the other, the old lady, dog, cat and who knows what other pets, until the bed started to sag and the snores were a symphony. This was never my favorite book because I couldn't understand the appeal of all that napping. Since being married, I have learned a little bit about it.

Because, these guys can nap!


It's truly amazing to me. My beloved Tom and sweet baby Piper Joy can be in the most uncomfortable position and yet be snoozing away. They look fairly comfortable in this picture, but the aftermath of the comfy quilt over Piper's head was a very sweaty, unhappy baby when she woke up!

My beloved Tom and I have discussed this napping phenomenon. He will fall onto the couch face first and be asleep in two minutes while I must be tucked comfortably into a bed in a silent house with time to turn my brain off before I can even think about falling asleep. The interesting thing is, our roles switch at night. I fall asleep in thirty seconds and Tom takes hours to fall asleep. We have yet to develop a full fledged theory on why this is true, although I am sure some sleep expert has.

We are still waiting to see how Piper Joy fits into things as up until now she has only demonstrated a capacity to sleep poorly all the time. That is indeed changing, thankfully, and I am happy to report that I must end this post because my sweet baby Piper Joy is waking up from a, yes, glorious two hour nap. I must go and pick her up out of her crib and love her because that is my job. It is a good one.

Happy napping to all!

Comments

  1. It is apparent, you have never understood the finer points of napping. Now I, on the other hand ...

    The Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right! The ability to watch golf and "just see what happens" has always eluded me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Enough

At 1:30 p.m. today, my sister, Nurse Cori, arrives back in the U.S. after a two week medical missions trip to Costa Rica. This is the third in a series of trips, one to Mexico, and one to Jordan. We haven't heard much from her while she's been gone, so everyone is chomping at the bit to get a phone call. All I know at this time is that she got to give a fancy wheelchair to a kid who's been bedridden his entire life. That's so fantastic it makes me cry. At 10:30 a.m. yesterday, my mom and I were walking with a giant red stroller full of sweet baby Piper Joy. Piper was trying to fall asleep and I was trying to rouse her enough to keep her awake through the walk so I could take her home for a good nap. I employed such tactics as jumping while singing and flapping my arms as well as racing ahead of the stroller and executing a 360  to end up facing Piper with a giant grin. Neither of these tactics worked and Piper insisted on falling asleep. On our walk with a sleeping

Easter Fires

We used to live on top of a hill. It was so densely covered in live oaks that you had to drive halfway up the granite driveway before you could see our house - grey and white and tall in the midst of the trees. I can't even imagine how many times I drove up that driveway and caught the familiar glimpse of my home. First, as a high school-er in my blue minivan, then home from college in the old Lexus, then back from Austin in the Miata. I even drove up the drive as a married woman in my beloved Tom's  black Jetta. But we do not live on that hill anymore and I was reminded of that this Easter as I brought my sweet baby Piper to visit her Nan and Pop in their new home. It was not my parents' initial choice to move to a new home. They as well as I pictured their grandchildren coming up the live oak hill for visits. As little as I consciously thought about it, I had always expected to be able to bring my kids back to see where I grew up. But, after last Easter, a fire started

Piper Joy Interlude: Fashion Show

Here is sweet baby Piper Joy trying on her potential flower girl dresses... and various other items! Option A: too large, but sooo cute still! also was worn by Nurse Cori in a wedding back in the day... Option B: A better fit and a bit more chic... Hilarious new swimsuit I found on sale... my beloved Tom thinks it's too grandma-y. Flower girl option C suggested by Piper Joy herself Daddy's hat -  the perfect fashion accessory every time